Monday, August 30, 2010

Vague Sentences

“The freeway is faster than side streets.”

I heard this vague sentence when driving to LA, through La, and driving away from LA. Los Angeles has some of the worst traffic in the United States. Being from the LA area, its always about how to get to your destination the fastest. There are over 50 highways, freeways, interstates, and state routes in LA. Determining the fastest route to your destination you have to think of many factors. So the vague statement above has many factors influencing its truthfulness.

When you’re driving, the distance you’re driving, and how fast you drive are the major factors. Because of the many factors the statement becomes vague due to the fact there will be times taking the side street is faster then the freeway or vice versa. And when you’re not in Los Angeles, are there even freeways? This is claim that causes too many disagreements between drivers.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Catalina!

    I like how you picked this specific example to discuss in response to our discusion question. In all of honesty, that vague sentence is perhaps on of the most misleading thought in people's minds. When people compare freeways and side streets, most will automatically assume that freeways are the faster routes, just because of the stereotype that freeways flow faster due to fewer or no traffic lights. However, I like how you pointed out that the given statement is not always true. I agree with your thought regarding to how some places don't even have freeways, or sometimes taking the freeway results in getting to a destination even slower than if you were to take side streets. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catalina (:

    I actually like the vague sentence you provided. At the moment, I am only limited to commenting on people who are up-to-date with their blog posts, and it turns out only a few of us are, and about eighty percent of the class only have introductions. Anyways back on track, The reason why I like your post is because it can be vague to reason why freeways are faster than side streets, but at times streets can be faster than freeways. A reason why people may think freeways are faster is because of the lack of street lights to regulate traffic on freeways. People can generally think negative about side streets because no one likes waiting in front of a red light in order to get to their destination. From my past experiences, streets have been faster at some times, for example, a major accident really slowed down traffic on the freeway, so I took a side street and got lucky with hitting green lights more than red lights, so I got to my destination faster than I would on the freeway. Because of the way I thought of your quotation, obviously this makes your sentence a vague one because anyone can interpret different reasons to why freeways are faster or slower than side streets. So good job explaining, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I heard this statement so many times growing up, its good to know you guys can easily relate to the example I used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not sure I agree that the statement that LA have some of the worst traffic in the United States is that vague. I think there have been studies that can confirm weather is statement is true, or if it is made up. In that case it is more about factually than being vague. I can understand that if you are from LA you may not agree with the statement mainly because you wouldn’t have something to compare it to. Being from the country I can understand that perspective is key to just about every statement, and your perspective differs.

    ReplyDelete