Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Look Back at Group Communication

For this blog, I decided to look back to the book that we read at the beginning of the semester: The Essential Guide to Group Communication. Specifically what we read on page 46 in chapter three: The Process of Decision Making in Groups and Teams.

There are EIGHT parts to making decisions in groups:
1 Identify the problem
2 Conduct research
3 Establish guidelines and criteria
4 Generate alternatives
5 Evaluate alternatives
6 Select the best alternative
7 Implement the solution
8 Evaluate the Results

By knowing how to effectively make group decisions, groups includes companies and organizations.

The following website gives the advantages and disadvantages to groups making decisions.
http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/management/Gr-Int/Group-Decision-Making.html
Knowing the best and most effective way to make decisions in a group will prove advantageous to everyone as a whole. It makes planing and work smoother at real companies or in small-scale organizations.

Decision Making individually or in a group is key to communicating what is happening to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a meaningful topic to cover, and I appreciate your research. Having worked at a variety of companies both large and small, I can attest to the need for clear group communication. Anytime we start to look at a decision, process, or policy we follow the eight step skeleton you outlined. I would argue that even in non team settings I use this same general guideline to make decisions. Sometimes it may not look like it, but often the research part is based on personal experience, and the evaluation comes in the form of feedback from clients, staff, or supervisors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post, I felt this was a very good topic to bring up again. I must say, I literally said "wow" after reading this post. I personally did not know of advantages and disadvantages when it comes to decision making, but now I know. When we evaluate for making a decision, we would have to use those eight parts you mentioned above, but knowing about advantages and disadvantages makes decision making more affective. Without knowing those things, it could lead to people regretting about the decisions they make. I myself have experienced times when I have made decisions and regretted them. But now I have a better sense of how to break down a decision for the best of me and to stay more on the advantage side, even though we'd all have to face a disadvantage at some points.

    ReplyDelete