Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Advertising on the Internet

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/mobile-tv/index.jsp

The above link is promoting AT & T Mobile TV. I found the advertisement with the link to this site on latimes.com.

AT & T Mobile TV claims to guarantees crisp clear video and audio TV straight from your phone. Using the summary of when to accept and when to reject a claim on page 90 of our text I figured that I can accept this claim.

We accept or reject claims from personal experiences. I can accept this claim to be true because I have a friend who has a phone that TV is available and it does stream video and audio. It does not contradict any claim I know to be true.

We also accept or reject claims from other sources. The claim is made by AT & T, a large corporation considered to be one of the best in the nation. If I were to be a loyal customer of AT & T, their claim would be accepted because of their expertise. However we would reject the claim if the reputable authority has reason to mislead consumers. The ad was not found in a reputable journal or reference, so we could reject the claim based on the fact it does not come from a dependable source. We can also reject the claim because advertisements are not usually reliable and have only one motive which is to get a contract with AT & T.

1 comment:

  1. I personally like your post regarding AT&T. I myself have seen a phone with AT&T Mobile TV, and I got to admit, it looks really nice, even the sound is nice too. Because AT&T is so well known across the United States, of course they are reliable in what they advertise because they do not cheat customers. I am an AT&T user, and I have never been cheated with their services. Using my own experiences, I know that AT&T is a reliable source, so I have no reason to reject their commercials.

    An example of how reliable they are:

    AT&T has advertised their family phone tracker (Not sure what it's called exactly), and it maps out the locations of phone user on a map as long as their phone is on and with them.

    My friend from Dominican University in San Francisco traveled all the way to Los Angelos without her parent's knowledge. Her parents used the service and found the location of their child. From that, I was convinced that AT&T is reliable with both their services and their advertisements.

    ReplyDelete