Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Inferring and Implying

I had to reread this section of chapter 4 to understand it completely.

By inferring and implying someone could be leaving out information that could make or break your argument. Implying in the conclusion means that you say something without saying it. Inferring is saying something and letting the mind understand it in the wrong or right way. By inferring and implying meaning can be lost in the argument.

In a normal conversation saying, “Brittany drives like she is in the Grand Prix” implies that Brittany is a fast driver.

In a normal conversation saying, “Brittany is not a suitable role model for young girls” is infers ideas like “Brittany is a slut”.

If we were to imply or infer, the information provided must offer a conclusion that is obvious. You assume that the person reading your argument has an equal understanding of the subject or has the ability to not jump to conclusions.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Catalina,
    Your explanation of implying and inferring was very clear and easy to understand. I also had trouble understanding this concept at first; you seem to really have grasped the whole idea for you explained it great! I liked how you separated implies and infers and used two different examples for each. I often find implications useful in everyday conversation; when carrying on a casual conversation, people's ability to imply and understand makes the conversation flow faster and smoother. Inferring on the other hand can often lead to miscommunication and misunderstanding. You did a great job explaining this complicated topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catalina
    I wish I had read your post earlier. I could not find the definitions in the textbook. Regardless, I liked your example. I do agree with Albany; your explanation is very clear. This concept is used often in the real world. It can come down to a personal inference regarding its meaning. The way you define it in your examples make it really clear as to how and when one should infer and imply. I used to struggle with these words; I usually mix them up while speaking with my friends. Now, I have a clear picture when to use the two words. So, it was very clear and easy to understand. Good examples as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I liked the way you set up your post by explaining the meaning of both Implying and Inferring so the reader can know the both of them and the differences they have. I also enjoyed your examples because they not only show the differences between the two but they are easy to understand and learn from. The information you gave was informative and to the point which help you understand the concepts quickly. What I learned in your post actually help me better understand the concepts better than the book actually did, in turn helping me write my own post. Overall I enjoyed your post and hope you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The terms inferring and implying are often confusing indeed. Both are interesting and useful concepts to understand. Because true meaning is intentionally omitted, the recipient can easily misinterpret the speaker's intention. Such vital information can be left out intentionally or unintentionally. It is for the recipients' benefit to be aware of how their intended message is being perceived. It is interesting to note that, in creative writing situations, thoughts and ideas are purposely omitted and inferred, whereas analyzing arguments requires that inferences and vague implications be avoided wherever possible. The usage of these communication strategies depends on the speaker's purpose. I am glad that the book included this information because these two words have greatly confused me in the past.

    ReplyDelete