Monday, September 27, 2010

An Argument Needing Repairing

Here is my example of an argument that isn’t a rational argument:

Birds fly. Birds are Winnie’s favorite animals.

Analysis:
There is no rational argument in these statements. The premise is birds fly and that birds are Winnie’s favorite animals. There is no conclusion to this argument. If we were to add, “Winnie wishes she could fly.” A conclusion would be given that makes the first two statements more understandable. We could also delete the first sentence because this premise is not significant to the confirming the conclusion.

Being able to recognize an argument that needs to be repaired and knowing how to repair it is important. That is how we are able to make more effective arguments without but called out on being wrong. The argument can become strong or valid by repairing the argument. A premise or conclusion is added. The premise has to be plausible and would seem plausible to others. Also, the premise is more plausible than the conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I like how you used an example that is very straightforward and helpful to understand when it comes to repairing arguments. I got which part of the example needs the repairing right away when I read it, especially by focusing on knowing which part of it needs to be repaired. I think you explained and supported your example very well by giving sufficient proof that you understood the topic. By showing that the two sentences are really not quite relevant with each other, made it easier for me to understand that an extra premise would make it more easily to comprehend. All in all, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the two sentences seem to be independent of each other. I think we could add something like, “because” to combine the sentences. The new sentence would say, “Birds are Winnies favorite animal because birds fly.” This is a strong argument in and of itself. I liked your thoughts on why it is important to be able to recognize an argument in need of repair. I think it goes to helping ourselves become more confident, but also to our creditability with others. If I continually make good strong arguments with my boss, he is more likely to ask less and less questions as we have build a history.

    ReplyDelete