Friday, November 5, 2010

Apple Polishing and Appeal to Vanity

In the exercise section of chapter 10, number two asks us to find an ad that uses apple polishing. I could not think of an example of apple polishing because I still do not understand what apple polishing is. I reread the couple sentences about it in the chapter and was hoping for more examples of it.

When I googled “apple polishing”, this website: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-apple-polishing-mean.htm
provided some very useful information and more examples. I did not realize apple polishing was equivalent to sucking up or brown nosing. It is an appeal to vanity, complementing viewers of ads to get them to feel a certain way if they buy this dress or those shoes.

The following ad is meant to appeal to a girl’s inner princess. http://talkingcosmetics.com/pics/vera/vsample2.jpg
By appealing a girl’s child dream of marrying a prince and becoming a princess. This could be one of the many examples of appealing to vanity by apple polishing.

2 comments:

  1. I also wrote about apple polishing. I interpreted the definition of this idea exactly the same way you did. I did notice the book’s explanation was a little confusing as well. In the book, on page 194, the part that confirmed that apple polishing is basically “sucking up or brown nosing” was when the premise was supplied. The premise basically shows that anybody who commends or thinks highly of the grader is appealing to the grader, and makes the grader feel better about him or herself. This in turn will cloud the grader’s judgment, and will result in passing grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Catalina, I really enjoyed your post; it was informative and very well thought out. I was confused on the concept of apple polishing as well until I read your post which really cleared up things and allowed me to understand the concept much better. The links you provided helped a lot as well, they provided a lot of information and painted a better picture for me which allowed me to better understand this concept. Overall I liked and enjoyed reading your post it helped me learn the concepts. It was informative and entertaining and I hope you keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete