Thursday, November 18, 2010

Critical Website

The Mission Critical web site was a very good review for what arguments are. Defining in detail what claims are, allowed me to review the different types of statements: universal, qualified, specific, non-specific, comparative, fact and opinion, verifiable, evaluative, and advocatory. There were also exercises that asked students to identify what type of claims they are.

The web site also discussed how “and” or “or” are used. “And” (and “but”) words affirm all and negate one. “Or” is used to affirm one and negate all. The examples in this section wer clear about what you would need for effective arguments using the words “and” or “or”.

In the section about Inductive and Deductive Reasoning, I learned that arguments used inductively are usually based on experience and observation. While argument that are deductive are made based on laws, rules, or widely accepted principles. The web site emphasized that “any inductive argument can also be expressed deductively, and any deductive argument can also be expressed inductively.” By knowing whether or not an argument is inductive or deductive is important because it will help one make valid and sound arguments

3 comments:

  1. You focused on a different section of the website than I did when I was looking through it. I focused more on the stuff towards the end like the fallacies and analyzing arguments because I learned it more recently. However after reading you blog I think going back and looking at the stuff in the beginning could also be very helpful to me by reminding me of the basic structure of an argument. We have moved on past what claims are and focus on them now in how they are used and I almost forget that there are different types of claims that can be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catalina,
    I have to agree with your post and say that I found the website to be a great reminder as well. I had kind of forgotten the different kinds of statements and the website did a great job at explaining them again. I therefore had an idea again of what everything we've done in class was and how to use it etc. I also found the information towards the end of the website to be very useful because they went over information that we just covered. I also found the exercises useful and accurate to what we are supposed to be learning in class-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your review of the Mission Critical website. You touched on a lot of the subjects covered in this website and in class. I found this website to be extremely helpful as well as it provides many great examples of everything we have been covering in class. I liked the ones that you chose and how you explained each one in a clear way. This website had a great deal of information and is a bit overwhelming, but your post just goes to show how in depth this actually is. It provides a lot of different aspects that we are covering such as the examples you chose.

    ReplyDelete