Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cause and Effect Website

The website provided by our professor gave an introduction to Casual Arguments. At first I was confused as why the site was titled so because our professor called it the Cause and Effect Website. But upon further reading of the web site, I under stood that the site explained what casual arguments were. Basically casual arguments are made when something occurs because of something else: a cause and a effect.

Casual arguments are similar to inductive arguments. Both use cause and effect. The premise and the claim have no significant difference. However, casual arguments have a significant difference for each party involved.

The web site provided three key factors of a casual argument:
1. how acceptable or demonstrable the implied comparison is
2. how likely the case of causation seems to be
3. how credible the “significant difference” or “only significant commonality” claim is

The web site and its excercises proved to help me understand casual argument/cause and effect better and make it easier to identify and use.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Catalina,
    I learned a lot from this post. I have yet to access the website provided by the professor so I am new to the whole idea of cause and effect in regards to arguments. Your post, however, actually gave me a really strong understanding of what is in included in a casual argument, and what a casual argument even is. I liked how you compared casual arguments to inductive arguments. Automatically, the reader will remember what a inductive argument is (hopefully) and be able to relate this new concept to one we have already learned and mastered. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with what you mentioned about the website the teacher provided in terms of what the site provided and how it was helpful.At first it was confusing or unknown to me what is this cause and effect, and how it works in an argument. After reading through the material on that site, it helped me understand it better with the use of their example. The car accident example helped me root the cause of the effect, which was the illegally parked truck in the bike lane. By using their example, I was able to find out who was really guilty of the accident. So by using cause and effect in an argument, you can find the actual thing or person to place the blame on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Your post helped me understand the topic more when it comes to the advantages the website our professor shared with us. I believe that the site provided great information that supplemented the things that the book offers us, but with the website it was better that we have another source to get information from. I also agree with you how I mistaken the website for something else rather than getting a direct definition of Cause and Effect, but further on as I read through it, I understood it more why Casual Arguments lead to the Cause and Effect website. Another great post! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Catalina,
    Your post was really good. I thought you did an excellent job in just summarizing the main points that we there on the website. Your post definitely beats my post in clarity and precision. And most importantly, you provided the three rules that have to be followed in order for the cause and effect claims / argument to stand valid. i also liked how you mentioned the link between inductive reasoning, and the cause and effect reasoning. All in all, I really liked it.It was very clear, simple, yet descriptive, emphatic and to the point. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete