Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reasoning Examples

One. Argument by Analogy
Premise #1: My friends all dance.
Premise#2: My sisters all dance.
Conclusion: Everyone I know are dancers.

Two. Argument by Sign
Parent: You have to be home tomorrow to clean the house.
Child: I can’t tomorrow I have work all day.
Parent: All right, just make sure it’s clean by Saturday.
Child: Okay, I have time to clean Friday.

Three. Casual Reasoning
Premise #1: I woke up late for school.
Premise#2: I did not have time to eat breakfast this morning.
Conclusion: I was hungry all morning after arriving late to school.

Four. Reasoning by Criteria
Your mom would like something meaningful and thoughtful. Why not get her an engraved locket?

Five. Reasoning by Example
Kayla can play several pieces on the piano. If you want to be play as well as Kayla, you should practice more.

Six. Inductive
Premise #1: Every Thursday, my family eats dinner together.
Premise#2: Today is Friday.
Conclusion: We are not having family dinner tonight.

Seven. Deductive
Premise #1: There are many attractions at the San Diego Zoo.
Premise#2: There are pandas at the San Diego Zoo.
Conclusion: The pandas are one of many attractions at the San Diego Zoo.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I found your post very straightforward and helpful when it comes to understanding this week’s assignment. I found a couple of them having almost the same definition, but understood how they may be different even with the slightest way they are used. Some were almost exactly the same as the others if you haven’t noticed the differences they have. I like how directly you showed those differences through your various examples and even without the description of what the meaning is, I was still able to fully comprehend it. Another great work and post! Looking forward to reading more from you! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post it was very straightforward and easy to read. The way you set up each of the examples was very good because they were set up in a way that the reader could easily follow your examples and see was the concepts were. I also enjoyed reading your examples because they were very relatable especially the waking up late and the family dinners. Your information you provided was well thought out and in fact helped me write my own post thanks to your well thought out and straightforward examples. Overall I think you did a very good job and should keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete